This page describes the Destiny as depicted in the fan fiction Gundam Seed Destiny Altered. For its animated counterpart from Gundam Seed Destiny, see ZGMF-X42S Destiny Gundam(Gundam Wiki)
Technology & Combat Characteristics
- MMI-GAU26 17.5mm CIWS x2
- A pair of rapid-fire, shell-firing guns mounted in the Destiny's head, primarily for use against missiles and light aircraft
- MA-BAR73/S 60mm high-energy beam rifle
- The Destiny's main handheld weapon, an improved version of the Impulse's beam rifle
- MMI-X340 31mm "Palma Fiocina" beam gun x2
- A light, medium-range beam gun mounted in the palm of each of the Destiny's hands. Often used mainly in close combat, as its range is limited.
- MR-Q17X "Gryphon II" Leg Beam Blade x2
- Perhaps one of the Destiny's most unusual weapons, a pair of beam blades, one mounted in each lower leg. When activated, a beam is generated between the knee and foot on each leg, giving the Destiny a useful close-quarters weapon for surprise attacks.
- RQM-60F "Shining Edge" Beam Boomerang x2
- A pair of beam boomerangs mounted in each of the Destiny's shoulders, similarly to those of the ZGMF-X09A Justice Gundam. These are a refined version of the RQM-55E "Flash Edge II" used by the Knight Saviour, which was itself based on the Sword Impulse's RQM-50 "Flash-Edge" beam boomerangs. Much smaller than its predecessors, the Shining Edge beam boomerangs also double as beam sabers.
- M2200GX 180mm "Megálos Kerberos" High-energy Long-range Plasma Beam Cannon x2
- A much improved version of the M2000F "Kerberos" beam cannons of the Blast Impulse. By far the most powerful ranged weapon in the Destiny's arsenal, they are more compact and more powerful than their predecessor, and are more than capable of punching through even the thickest armor. Like the Blast Impulse's "Kerberos" cannons, the Megálos Kerberos are mounted on the Destiny's backpack, and deploy under its arms to fire.
- MMI-714 "Moralltach" High-output Anti-Ship Beam Saber x2
- Developed from the Excalibur and Caliburn swords used by the Impulse, these are the Destiny's most potent close-range weapon; designed primarily as anti-ship weapons, the length of the blades exceeds even that of the Excaliburs; however, because they lack a physical blade, the weapons are lighter and move faster, making them equally effective against mobile suits, giving the Destiny a significantly longer reach than any other close-combat mobile suits. These weapons are designed exclusively for the Destiny, and no other mobile suit has the dexterity to be able to use them. Like the Excaliburs, the Moralltach can be combined into a single, dual-bladed weapon
- MMI-RGX47 Assault Shield
- The Destiny's primary defensive equipment, a conceptual derivative of the Composite Shield used by the GuAIZ and GuAIZ-R, it combines a compact physical shield with a more powerful beam shield additional close-range armament, consisting of:
- EEQ8S "Grapple Stinger" extensional arrestor
- An anchor mounted to the shield, which can be fired on a line and retracted, developed based on those of the GuAIZ. It is capable of easily slicing through the armor of most mobile suits. This weapon also has been given an anti-beam coating that enables it to penetrate beam shields as well as positron reflectors.
- MMI-712 "Beagalltach" High-output beam blade
- A heavy beam blade for use against mobile suits, mounted to the tip of the shield. Less powerful than the Moralltach Anti-Ship Beam Saber, it is still more powerful and has a longer reach than conventional beam sabers
- Variable Phase Shift Armor
- A refined and more energy-efficient version of Phase-Shift Armor, which is also able to automatically adjust its settings for optimum power efficiency. Unlike previous mobile suits, the Destiny's VPS is extended to its internal frame as well as its external armor.
- "Voilure Lumière" High-output Lightwave-pulse Thruster Array
- Colloquially nicknamed "Wings of Light"; an experimental propulsion system designed as an enhanced version of the HiMAT system developed for the Freedom Gundam. The "Voilure Lumière" is developed based on research into photon sail technology for long-range interplanetary travel. It pairs a shaped photon field with an array of high-output plasma thrusters, which draw power directly from the Destiny's fusion reactor. The photon field acts as a long, narrow nozzle, which is continuously adjusted to maximize its efficiency, allowing the Destiny to achieve speed and acceleration orders of magnitude beyond what can be achieved by conventional propulsion systems. Additionally, the system also uses Mirage Colloid-derived nano-particle technology to still further enhance the Destiny's aerial characteristics, while also creating a trail of after-images that confuse sensors, making it more difficult for enemy weapons to lock onto and track the Destiny Gundam.
- MX2200 "Solidus Fulgor" Beam Shield Generator x2
- A defensive system derived from the same underlying technology as beam sabers. A small generator on the back of each of the Destiny's hands creates a powerful, diamond-shaped beam shield capable of deflecting most kinetic and beam weapon attacks. The shield it generates is smaller and less powerful than the "Validus Fulgor", but it is sufficiently powerful to block the weapons of nearly any mobile suit or mobile armor.
- MX2351 "Validus Fulgor" beam shield generator
- A more powerful beam shield generator, mounted to the Assault Shield. It creates a hexagonal beam shield capable of resisting a barrage from even capital-class beam weapons, up to and including positron cannons.
- Ultracompact Hyper-Deuterion Nuclear Fusion Reactor
- A revolutionary type of nuclear powerplant developed using refined version of the deuterion beam technology pioneered with the Second Stage Gundams, combined with a newly-developed fusion reactor. Because the Neutron Jammers only inhibits nuclear fission, the Hyper-Deuterion nuclear reactor is immune to their effects, which grants the Destiny Gundam an unlimited power supply without the need for an N-Jammer Canceller.
- YMF-X42C Mobile Escape System
- The Destiny eschews the complex multi-module Core Block System of its predecessor, and as such does not use the Core Splendor. Instead, its cockpit block is contained within an escape system similar to the MF-101C mobile escape pod used by the Saviour and other New Millennium series mobile suits
- Destiny's head crest displays the text "X42R QUARANTADUE", which means "Forty-Two" in Italian and is a reference to Destiny's series number. The "R" in its designation, as opposed to the "S" of Second-Stage mobile suits like the Impulse, designates it as a Third-Stage mobile suit, equipped with new technologies including the experimental hyper-deuterion nuclear reactor.
- The Destiny's role is similar to that of the Zeta Gundam in the series of the same name; it is the protagonist's second mobile suit, with the character's first mobile suit given to a female pilot in his squad.
- The Destiny's faceplate has a distinctive pair of red, curved marks, one directly underneath each eye. Identical markings were previously seen on the faceplate of the OZ-00MS2 Tallgeese II. Somewhat similar, straight markings are also present on the faceplate of the XM-X1 Crossbone Gundam, while similar markings are also present on the GF13-001NHII Master Gundam, and the GF13-039NP Jester Gundam, albeit not colored red in the latter two cases. The combination of these facial markings and the Destiny's predominantly blue and white color scheme are meant specifically to evoke the Tallgeese II.
- The "Wings of Light" are inspired by the identically-nicknamed Minovsky Drive System on the LM314V21 Victory 2 Gundam and the visually similar afterimage ability of the F91 Gundam F91. "Sail of Light" (translation of "Voilure Lumière") is also the name given to the Minovsky Drive System of the Crossbone Gundam manga's flagship Mother Vanguard.
- DESTINED is inspired by the real-life DESTINY(Demonstration and Experiment of Space Technology for INterplanetary voYage) satellite, developed as a technology demonstrator for the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency(JAXA)'s proposed "Hayabusa Mk2" mission.
- The "Moralltach"(meaning "Great Fury") and "Beagalltach"("Little Fury) are two swords wielded by tragic hero Diarmuid Ua Duibhne of the Fenian mythological Cycle.
- As with previous C.E. Gundams, the word "GUNDAM" is an acronym that denotes its operating system. The version used by the Destiny stands for Gunnery United Nuclear- Deuterion Advanced Maneuver
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.